Squash Your Sugar Cravings with these 5 Powerful Tips
Lately, you may have found yourself reaching for sweet or salty foods, whether it’s for a quick burst of energy between Zoom meetings or to feel a sense of comfort at the end of a long day.
After all, sugar is the fastest and easiest source of energy! Too much of it can result in imbalances in our blood sugar. In fact, excess sugar can lead to an increase in disease-causing bacteria and in turn give rise to inflammation, mood swings, stress response triggers, and more
Here are five steps you can take to reduce sugar cravings and balance your blood sugar:
1. Eat protein and vegetables before consuming simple carbs. Doing so will fuel your body with nutrient-dense and fiber-packed foods and prevent overeating sugar.
2. Incorporate metabolism-boosting spices, like cayenne, cinnamon, turmeric, and cardamom, to help the body burn sugar faster and promote a healthy gut lining. Plus, these spices are perfect for fall!
3. Weed out simple sugars and artificial sweeteners by opting for complex carbohydrates like beets, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash, which are naturally sweet and in season.
4. Get a good night’s sleep. As you might have noticed, less and poor-quality sleep can make you feel hungrier than usual and increase your cravings for processed foods and refined sugar.
5. Vary your workouts with strength or resistance training exercises. While breaking a sweat is helpful all around, exercises that focus on building strength can help lower blood sugar by storing blood glucose in your muscles.
Remember, you don’t have to make theses changes all at once. Pick one from the list that seems do-able for you and give it a try for a day.
If you still want help with any of the tips mentioned and want a real game plan with how to move forward with your new habits, I’m available for a chat!
Click here to see if our schedules can colide.
Hi, I'm Melissa
Holistic Health Coach
Welcome! As a health coach I help you learn how to feel good about food and healthy living. Your body is your home. Let's hang out and I'll teach you how to be well without dieting. Thanks for being here!
Does Worrying about Your Weight Make Thanksgiving less enjoyable? I know this time of the year can bring up a lot of worry and anxiety about eating too much food and and weight gain. You might feel like throwing caution to the wind with your habits, and wait to start...
One of the best things I’ve done for my health is becoming aware of my breath by using the 4-7-8 breath method. Many of us take short, shallow breaths that only reach our chests--as if we're not fully engaging the full breath and holding our breath all day. It’s time...
Pumpkin Spice Quinoa Brownies For when you want brownies and it's the middle of fall. I added pumpkin and cinnamon to these brownies because I didn't have applesauce, and it felt like a no brainer because applesauce and pumpkin puree have a similar consistency. Plus,...