Squash Your Sugar Cravings with these 5 Powerful Tips
Lately, you may have found yourself reaching for sweet or salty foods, whether it’s for a quick burst of energy between Zoom meetings or to feel a sense of comfort at the end of a long day.
After all, sugar is the fastest and easiest source of energy! Too much of it can result in imbalances in our blood sugar. In fact, excess sugar can lead to an increase in disease-causing bacteria and in turn give rise to inflammation, mood swings, stress response triggers, and more
Here are five steps you can take to reduce sugar cravings and balance your blood sugar:
1. Eat protein and vegetables before consuming simple carbs. Doing so will fuel your body with nutrient-dense and fiber-packed foods and prevent overeating sugar.
2. Incorporate metabolism-boosting spices, like cayenne, cinnamon, turmeric, and cardamom, to help the body burn sugar faster and promote a healthy gut lining. Plus, these spices are perfect for fall!
3. Weed out simple sugars and artificial sweeteners by opting for complex carbohydrates like beets, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash, which are naturally sweet and in season.
4. Get a good night’s sleep. As you might have noticed, less and poor-quality sleep can make you feel hungrier than usual and increase your cravings for processed foods and refined sugar.
5. Vary your workouts with strength or resistance training exercises. While breaking a sweat is helpful all around, exercises that focus on building strength can help lower blood sugar by storing blood glucose in your muscles.
Remember, you don’t have to make theses changes all at once. Pick one from the list that seems do-able for you and give it a try for a day.
If you still want help with any of the tips mentioned and want a real game plan with how to move forward with your new habits, I’m available for a chat!
Click here to see if our schedules can colide.
Hi, I'm Melissa
Holistic Health Coach
I help women feel good about food and their bodies without the constant battle of dieting. Your body wants you to feel good and is your best health advocate. Let's hang out and discover how to be well without dieting ever again. Thanks for being here!
Spring cleaning really should extend to more corners of our lives than the corners of our homes. Do you ever notice how fresh and light you feel when you clean your house for spring? Try it on your life in just one weekend, and you'll feel more refreshed than you can...
This might be one of my favorite vegetarian dishes. This recipe incorporates a few simple and delicious ingredients to create something so satisfying and complete. When people wonder how vegetarians get their protein, this dish is the perfect example of how protein is...
I'm so glad you're here, and I hope you're as excited as I am about this Daily Walking Challenge throughout March. If you are looking for easy and inexpensive ways to improve your health, drinking enough water and taking daily walks are two things that are completely...