Creamy Taco Soup
Crock-tober is in full swing!
And to start, I have this delicious Mexican Style Soup recipe. Think of it as, Chicken Tortilla Soup meets Vegetables.
This recipe was made entirely in the crock pot with the exception of browning the chicken and sautéing the vegetables at the beginning. But, you’ll only need one pan!
I’ll be posting a soup or crockpot recipe every week in my Facebook group, and you’ll get some great meal ideas for the coming colder months. If you want to join me in my Free Facebook Group for Crock-tober click here to join or reply to this post with the word, ME!
After Crock-tober, we’ll keep rolling with some fun happenings in November and December, so I hope you’re excited as I am. I hope to see you in the group.
Creamy Taco Soup
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 bell peppers yellow, red and orange julienned any color peppers
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds pasture raised ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 25 ounces bone broth or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 5 stalks curly kale sliced fine or 16 oz spinach leaves
- 12 oz frozen corn
- 1 15 oz canned black beans rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- 1 jalapeno sliced into rounds
- remaining coconut milk
- Add the avocado oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions and bell pepper and sauté until soft and tender. This will take about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove and place in a crock pot on high (4 hours cook time) or low (8 hours cook time)
- Add the ground chicken to the saute pan cook through until its no longer raw. Add a pinch of salt, pepper, and turmeric to the meat.
- Transfer the meat to your slow cooker.
- Add the diced tomatoes, bone broth, half of the coconut cream, and 1/2 cup of water and stir until well combined.
- Add the corn and the black beans and all of the spices and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or high for about 4 hours.
- 25 minutes before serving add the chopped kale or spinach and stir well.
- Once it's ready, add any or all of the toppings listed. Taste for additional salt and pepper and, add any or all of the toppings listed.
- Vegetarian option: add plant based "meat" in place of the ground chicken, cook the same as chicken. Or add 1 can of rinsed pinto beans, and 1 can of rinsed chickpeas in place of the ground chicken.
Hi, I'm Melissa
Holistic Health Coach
I help women feel good about food and their bodies without the constant battle of dieting. Your body wants you to feel good and is your best health advocate. Let's hang out and discover how to be well without dieting ever again. Thanks for being here!
I don't like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen most nights (Who's kidding, any night). It may seem like I'm always in the kitchen, but my goal is to always make a nutritious meal in the least amount of time. That's why I love using black beans to make easy dish's....
You’re going to love this Quinoa Buddha Salad Bowl. I get inspired from foods that I eat while I’m out and about. This recipe was inspired from a quinoa salad that I got at a local grocery store. The salad had all the necessary ingredients to keep me full for a few...
Spring cleaning really should extend to more corners of our lives than the corners of our homes. Do you ever notice how fresh and light you feel when you clean your house for spring? Try it on your life in just one weekend, and you'll feel more refreshed than you can...