Creamy Taco Soup
Crock-tober is in full swing!
And to start, I have this delicious Mexican Style Soup recipe. Think of it as, Chicken Tortilla Soup meets Vegetables.
This recipe was made entirely in the crock pot with the exception of browning the chicken and sautéing the vegetables at the beginning. But, you’ll only need one pan!
I’ll be posting a soup or crockpot recipe every week in my Facebook group, and you’ll get some great meal ideas for the coming colder months. If you want to join me in my Free Facebook Group for Crock-tober click here to join or reply to this post with the word, ME!
After Crock-tober, we’ll keep rolling with some fun happenings in November and December, so I hope you’re excited as I am. I hope to see you in the group.
Creamy Taco Soup
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 bell peppers yellow, red and orange julienned any color peppers
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds pasture raised ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 25 ounces bone broth or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 5 stalks curly kale sliced fine or 16 oz spinach leaves
- 12 oz frozen corn
- 1 15 oz canned black beans rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- 1 jalapeno sliced into rounds
- remaining coconut milk
- Add the avocado oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions and bell pepper and sauté until soft and tender. This will take about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove and place in a crock pot on high (4 hours cook time) or low (8 hours cook time)
- Add the ground chicken to the saute pan cook through until its no longer raw. Add a pinch of salt, pepper, and turmeric to the meat.
- Transfer the meat to your slow cooker.
- Add the diced tomatoes, bone broth, half of the coconut cream, and 1/2 cup of water and stir until well combined.
- Add the corn and the black beans and all of the spices and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or high for about 4 hours.
- 25 minutes before serving add the chopped kale or spinach and stir well.
- Once it's ready, add any or all of the toppings listed. Taste for additional salt and pepper and, add any or all of the toppings listed.
- Vegetarian option: add plant based "meat" in place of the ground chicken, cook the same as chicken. Or add 1 can of rinsed pinto beans, and 1 can of rinsed chickpeas in place of the ground chicken.
Hi, I'm Melissa
Holistic Health Coach
I help women feel good about food and their bodies without the constant battle of dieting. Your body wants you to feel good and is your best health advocate. Let's hang out and discover how to be well without dieting ever again. Thanks for being here!
Did you know you already possess one of the key's to great health? You do it every single day (at least I hope you do!). It's sleep! Wonderful, rejuvenating sleep! I know some of you have a love hate relationship with sleep. I understand because I didn't always put...
Tofu Tofu is high in protein and contains all of the essential amino acids your body needs. It also provides fats, carbs, and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. When shopping for tofu, look for organic, Non-Gmo tofu. There's a lot of debate whether or not tofu...
The 5 steps I took to read 15 books in 2020. 1. Decide why you want to read Is it because you want to learn a new skill or more about a topic? Do you want a new action plan? Do you want to hear how someone overcame something you’re struggling with? Or, do you just...